CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
Detailed Table of Contents
I. THE PHYSIOLOGY OF PERFORMANCE - understanding
the basics of the human machine
The Musculoskeletal System
The Cardiovascular System - heart/lungs/circulatory system
- Powering the muscle cell
"Limiters" of your performance
II. THE PHYSIOLOGY OF NUTRITION AND HYDRATION - fueling
Physiology of Nutrition
- energy content of food; digestion & absorption; internal energy
storage. Includes the effects of exercise on digestion/absorption.
First, set your goals. The first step in developing a customized training regimen, is
to review your personal riding goals, making sure they
are realistic. Some of the recommendations that
follow (especially nutrition) are linked to 6 common rides of differing intensity
and distance. (Your rides may not
be an exact fit, but it will you a place to start.)
- A Basic Nutrition Plan - elements
of a personal nutritional plan to maximize your performance goals (training,
pre-event, during the ride, and post-event)
- "Healthy Diet" tips- how to
keep your heart and pancreas happy.
- Weight control
Then apply proven training strategies
- Nutrition and hydration strategies to support optimal training (and performance).
- Training strategies to support optimal training (and performance).
Combine your realistic goals with an understanding of nutritional and training strategies,
and you are ready to go.
Work on "Special Cases".
Bring it all together
- The traditional bicycle
- Clothing/Helmets (and other protective gear)
Anemia (blood count, hemoglobin, hematocrit) and iron metabolism
Headaches with exercise
Miscellaneous Medical Questions from readers
- Digestive system
- Immune system and infections
Accidents and Liability
- Cardiac - Palpitations
- Fatigue, Avoiding the flu, B12 injections
- Skeletal system - Osteoporosis
- Saddle sores
- Broken clavicle
- Travel Planning - step by step
- Mapping your route
- The author's personal reminder list for a multi day bike tour
- The author's personal first aid kit for a multi day tour
- Links to commercial sites that
might be of help (including clothing and equipment - no endorsement intended).
- Glossary (Index)
- Archives - Past Performance Tips questions
- Reference Sites - research your own performance information
- Reference Texts
- Bicycle Trivia, bike history, and fun odds and ends
Cycling Performance Tips
Homepage | Table of Contents