CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
Last updated: 11/16/2019
New Trends in Cycling Infrastructure, Equipment and Service
It seems there is always something new coming on the market. I'll try to add items of interest
as I find them. It is not meant to be extensive, but ideas that I find intriguing - and
even old ideas that seem to have seen their day and are waning in popularity.
I live in Seattle where just getting around in a car (or an Uber) is a colossal challenge
at rush hour. And with the push to increase urban population density it is only going to
get worse.The data in this article demonstrates it is possible to envision a brightertransportation future.
Data is from eight key segregated cycle "superhighways" in the Danish capital.
- 35% now commute by bike, up from 29% in just under a decade
- cyclists are busting congestion and averaging 19 km/h.
- with the safe lanes there is no usage bias, with 52% of cyclists being women
- it is suggested that as part of this daily cycling effort by the population there are 333 fewer sick days per day
amongst the population
- and it supports a healthy climate as well. It is calculated that for every 11 kilometre of cycling up to 2.8kg of CO2 is saved over the same journey by car.
SHOPS - EQUIPMENT, MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS
CHANGING THE MODEL FOR SELLING AND MAINTAINING YOUR RIDE
If you own a car, you visit a fixed location to buy your car, and then again for
maintenance and repairs. For your bike(s) the same has been true (unless you are
a do-it-yourselfer). But now there are some new options to consider. And the best
part is that both of these give you more of that steadily decreasing resource of free time
to get you out of the car and on the bike for an extra ride.
MOBILE BIKE SHOPS
A downside of the connectivity of the internet is the ability of
with less than honest intentions to extend their reach into our lives.
So more than ever "buyer beware". Just one more reason to support
our local bike store with our business.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Questions on content or
suggestions to improve this page are
Cycling Performance Tips
Table of Contents